Salary Range: £25,000 – £27,000 per annum
AquAffirm provides a dynamic and collaborative environment for researchers and engineers to excel at their careers. Our globally-recognized scientists and engineers pursue innovation to help solve complex challenges in the water sector, which range from water reuse optimisation software through to point-of-use testing solutions and contaminant removal technologies.
AquAffirm has one full-time Scientist role in Electrochemical Sensors available. Acting as part of the AquAffirm product development team the post-holder will join a highly motivated group working to develop an innovative and award winning enzyme biosensor for measuring arsenic contamination levels in drinking water (http://www.bio-nano-consulting.com/bnc-wins-1st-prize-in-royal-society-of-chemistry-emerging-technologies-competition-2018).
The successful applicant will have a Chemistry, Biochemistry, Material Science or Bioengineering Bachelors or Masters Degree, which involved a research project were the relevant skills were practically applied. Additionally, the successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and will have an ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Confidence in working in a busy, business-focussed environment with highly-skilled and motivated individuals, coupled with the ability to handle pressure on occasions is essential. The appointment will start as soon as possible and is subject to receipt of satisfactory references.
Duties and Responsibilities
- this is primarily a laboratory based position requiring design, fabrication and characterisation of electrical and optical sensors
- to undertake experimental work as planned with the project manager and team leader
- to identify and develop suitable techniques for the collection and analysis of data relevant to the project aims
- to ensure the validity and reliability of data at all times
- to maintain accurate and complete records of all findings
- to travel, as required, for meetings with collaborators, to conduct field trials, and to attend project progress meetings
- to help prepare progress reports on research as required
- to contribute to the drafting and submitting of papers to peer reviewed journals and patent applications
- to undertake appropriate administration tasks associated with the project
- to comply with relevant BNC policies, including Financial Regulations, Equal Opportunities Policy, Promoting Race Equality Policy, Health and Safety Policy, Information Systems Security Policy and Intellectual Property Rights and Register of Interests Policies
- to be responsible for ensuring that equipment is safe and maintained in working order
- the postholder will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by Bio Nano Consulting
BSc or MSc in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Material Science or Bioengineering
Knowledge / Experience
- A laboratory-based research project which demonstrated competency of relevant laboratory skills is essential
- Ideally applicants will have experience in electrochemical sensors
- Ideally applicants will have experience in nanomaterial synthesis
- Ideally applicants will have experience in sensor design, fabrication and characterisation
- Experience in enzyme biosensors will be beneficial but not essential
Skills and Abilities
- ability to conduct a comprehensive but succinct review of recent literature
- ability to apply knowledge and experience, described above, to generate relevant experimental data
- ability to develop and apply new concepts or theories, drawing on literature and experimental information
- creative approach to problem-solving
- excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- excellent written communication skills, especially to write clearly and succinctly for publication
- ability to organise work on own initiative and prioritise own work in response to deadlines
- Ability to complete agreed work plan on time and to the required quality.
- willingness to work as part of a team and to be open-minded and cooperative
- flexible attitude towards work as necessitated by the demands of the project
- highly self-motivated
- disciplined with regard to confidentiality and security at all times
- willingness to undertake any necessary training for the role
- willingness to travel both within the United Kingdom and abroad to conduct research, field-trials and meet with project collaborators/sponsors
Salary & Benefits
The salary will be commensurate with experience. We also offer a stakeholder pension scheme and 20 days paid annual leave. Normal place of work will be at Bio Nano Consulting’s Laboratories at Rothamsted Open Innovation Hub, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ.
To apply for this position please email your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bio Nano Consulting is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged.
Closing date: 28th April 2019 @ 23.59 (UK time)
Please visit www.aquaffirm.com to learn more about us.