Salary Range: commensurate with experience
AquAffirm has one full-time Senior Scientist role in Electrochemical Sensors available. Acting as part of the AquAffirm product development team the post-holder will join a highly motivated group working to develop an innovative and award winning enzyme biosensor for measuring arsenic contamination levels in drinking water (http://www.bio-nano-consulting.com/bnc-wins-1st-prize-in-royal-society-of-chemistry-emerging-technologies-competition-2018).
The successful applicant will have a strong background in bio-/chemical-sensors with experience in electrochemical sensors. Industrial research and development experience or conducting translational academic research would be beneficial. Additionally, the successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and will have an ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
The role requires use of the candidate’s own initiative to ensure that all projects are delivered on time, within the scope and in required quality. Confidence in working in a busy, business-focussed environment with highly-skilled and motivated individuals, coupled with the ability to handle pressure on occasions is essential. The appointment will start as soon as possible and is subject to receipt of satisfactory references.
Duties and Responsibilities
- this is primarily a laboratory based position requiring design, fabrication and characterisation of electrochemical sensors
- to take initiative in the planning of the work, in collaboration with the project manager and collaborators
- to identify and develop suitable techniques for the collection and analysis of data relevant to the project aims
- to ensure the validity and reliability of data at all times
- to maintain accurate and complete records of all findings
- to work with and manage project subcontractors
- to travel, as required, for meetings with collaborators, to conduct field trials, and to attend project progress meetings
- to prepare progress reports on research as required
- to contribute to the drafting and submitting of papers to peer reviewed journals and patent applications
- to undertake appropriate administration tasks associated with the project
- to comply with relevant BNC policies, including Financial Regulations, Equal Opportunities Policy, Promoting Race Equality Policy, Health and Safety Policy, Information Systems Security Policy and Intellectual Property Rights and Register of Interests Policies
- to be responsible for ensuring that equipment is safe and maintained in working order
- the postholder will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by AquAffirm
PhD in Electrochemical Sensors or equivalent experience
Knowledge / Experience
- experience in electrochemical sensors is essential
- experience in sensor design, fabrication and characterisation is essential
- practical experience within a strong research environment, either academic or industrial is essential
- ideally applicants will have experience in enzyme electrochemical biosensors
- ideally applicants will have experience in enzyme kinetics and enzyme stability
- ideally applicants will have experience in electrochemical simulation and advanced electrochemical analysis
- experience of using design of experiments (DOE) will be beneficial but not essential
Skills and Abilities
- ability to conduct a comprehensive but succinct review of recent literature
- ability to apply knowledge and experience, described above, to generate and analyse relevant experimental data
- ability to develop and apply new concepts or theories, drawing on literature and experimental information
- creative approach to problem-solving
- excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- excellent written communication skills, especially to write clearly and succinctly for publication
- ability to organise work on own initiative and prioritise own work in response to deadlines
- willingness to work as part of a team and to be open-minded and cooperative
- flexible attitude towards work as necessitated by the demands of the project
- highly self-motivated
- disciplined with regard to confidentiality and security at all times
- willingness to undertake any necessary training for the role
- willingness to travel both within the United Kingdom and abroad to conduct research, field-trials and meet with project collaborators/sponsors
Salary & Benefits
The salary will be commensurate with experience. We also offer a stakeholder pension scheme and 25 days paid annual leave. Normal place of work will be at AquAffirm’s Laboratories at Rothamsted Open Innovation Hub, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ.
To apply for this position please email your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AquAffirm is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged.
Closing date: Tuesday 26th March 2019 at 23:59 (UK time)
Please visit www.aquaffirm.com to learn more about us.